Friday 1 April 2011

"If anyone wants to come with me, he must forget himself, take up his cross every day."(Lk 9:23)

Every summer, a group of campers about twenty people comes to Sado Church from Keiwa High School, which is a Christian high school in Niigata. I have a chance to see the education of Keiwa High closely. One of the good points is that the teachers give importance to the sense of achievements. They arrange the program so that every student can feel that they really have done something.


When we accomplish something, no matter how small it is, there is a joy. This joy becomes energy for a next step.

Some people are good at making this positive cycle. Some are not. I feel I’m not good at making this cycle. When I look back, unfortunately, I don't have so much experience that I really carried out something. Maybe, my aim was too high and big.

I often see in the camp, that when a teacher finds a big task, they divide it into small tasks. The teachers know very well about each student. So, they distribute small tasks to their students according to their own skill.

Today, Jesus said, "If anyone wants to come with me, he must forget himself, take up his cross every day." We can interpret the cross as something like homework from God. God gives us homework. There is a variety of homework, at different levels. Natural disasters which we face now might be a very huge homework. To write a letter to someone could become a small homework.

We know God is a good teacher. God divides big homework into small pieces and distributes it to everyone according to each talent. If we just leave the homework, we would never enjoy the feeling of achievements. Let's start doing our homework from God, step by step.

(Summary of the sermon on 27 March 2011, at Sado Church, United Church of Christ in Japan)